Jun 16, 2009

Holy fish!


Did I ever tell you that I like playing with my fish-eye lens? Not all the time, of course, but once in a while it helps me to look at the world around me in a different, more creative way.

I was lucky to have this lens in my bag when recently I strolled by St. Charles Borromeo’s church in downtown Antwerp. A textbook example of ecclesiastical baroque architecture, this famous Jesuit church hosts a number of paintings by Rubens , who also designed many of the sculptural decorations.


It does take an extreme wide angle lens to convey the overwhelming feeling of space inside this marble temple. The next challenge is to capture the extreme dynamic range of the scene.

Planning from the start to take the HDR route, I shot five consecutive frames from the back of the church at 1EV exposure increments (handheld, as I did not bring a tripod, the "middle" one at 1/30s f/4) and combined them later using Photomatix Pro's exposure blend mode. Another quick 5-frame burst to cover the grandiose main altar, and I got back on my way...


Gear notes: D300, 10.5/2.8 fish-eye

Click on the image(s) to see a larger version

No comments: